Saturday, February 27, 2010

Week 7: Cross Pollination. Iso Rabins (World Famous Forager) Cooks Dinner at Hatchi

Ok, so I have no plans for cross pollinating my blogs.  However, this week I ate at Hatchi with Iso Rabins in the kitchen. Iso Rabins is a well known and rapidly growing more famous forager. He cooks with foraged foods, runs an underground farmer's market in San Francisco, and even supplies customers with CFA (community foraged agriculture) boxes once a month.

I blogged about the meal here at FST.

I am curious to know what Michael Pollan thinks of Rabins. Not because of Rabins's approaches to eating healthily. Certainly foraged food can be as easily bastardized into something unhealthy as the most beautiful heirloom tomatoes from your farmer's market or zucchini from your garden. But I wonder what Pollan would think because of his thoughts and extensive writing on the industrial food complex.  Rabins is the anti-hero to the industrial food complex. He forages in parks, wild life areas, fields, meadows and waterways looking for ingredients to both feed people and make them more aware of all that is availably edible in their immediate and sometimes urban surroundings.

I also think we are all going to become foragers after the Armageddon/zombie invasion/population decreasing viral attack that is sure to come in the next century. We should learn the skill now or forever be denied fresh mushrooms. Maybe I should find out the location of truffle farms in the US so I can forage there after the apocalypse.

3 comments:

Iso said...

I'd be curious to know what Michael Pollan thinks of me too...

64 Weeks, 64 Food Rules said...

Maybe I should email him a copy of the SFWeekly article. It was a most entertaining read!

Iso said...

Yea, would be curious to hear what he thinks