Saturday, February 27, 2010

Week 7: Avoid Food A Third Grader Cannot Pronounce

Ok, I get it. I got it during weeks 2 and 3.  No multi-hyphenated long syllabic food supporting substances such as preservatives, emulsifiers, artificial colorings, sweeteners, acidity regulators, bulking agents, thickeners, stabilizers, humectants, etc etc ad infinitum.

Week 7 done. I have been eating real food.  Food I make at home, food that is still for the most part recognizable in its original state. A few exceptions: Wasa crackers. Not giving those up. They are  a filling breakfast or lunch with some cheese or fruit and have tons of fiber. Occasionally (like once or twice a month) I am going to use non-dairy creamer in my coffee or tea. Happened during week 7 because I had no access to half & half without waiting for rooms service and paying $10 for a cup of tea. I also ate one can of soup because a school I was working at gave me 20 minutes for lunch and I had a can in the car from 2009.

However, some things are balancing these occasional tendencies out. When ordering room service, I have started ordering veggie plates with some kind of potato on the side. Just as yummy as fish on some weird sauce or salad with mysterious dressing substances.

In the past three weeks I can count on one hand the number of times I have knowingly and deliberately eaten preservatives and additives and/or processed food items. (Not including the beloved Wasa cracker). This is a serious change in my dietary habits even though it feels like my lifestyle has not really changed one iota. FTW.

2 comments:

ltdunne said...

Just want to say I'm so glad you're back. Even though this blog is only 2 months old, I found myself looking forward each week to your smart and insightful reflections, as you eat your way through Pollan's book.

Food, she thought. said...

Thank you so much. Although I am taking the occasional absence, usually work induced (ugh work gets in the way of all my fun), I am still working toward my goal. Thank you for reading!